If you’re a photography enthusiast, you know that color and composition transform ordinary photographs into intriguing and compelling art work. One of the best places to find that color is at one of these world festivals. You’ll not only come home with some terrific shots, but you’ll have a good time as well.
1. Mardi Gras in New Orleans. From the floats to the beads to the king cakes, New Orleans is an explosion of color during Mardi Gras season, the two weeks preceding Lent. The daily parades and nightly parties offer wonderful photographic opportunities. Of course, New Orleans isn’t the only place in the world that celebrates the week preceding Lent. Brazil and the Caribbean island of Trinidad both have large Carnival festivities.
2. Day of the Dead in Mexico. On November 1st (All Saints Day), Mexicans honor their ancestors with colorful costumes, paper flowers, pastries and street parties. Though it might seem like a macabre concept, the reality is far from grim.
3. The Albuquerque Balloon Festival. This event, which takes place each year in early October, is a feast for the eyes. More than 700 hot air balloons take part in this nine-day event, the largest hot air balloon event in the world. The crisp, clear blue New Mexico sky makes a perfect backdrop for the brightly-colored balloons.
4. St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin. What started out as a religious day to commemorate St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, has turned into a secular celebration, complete with green beer, parades and partying. Practically the entire city wears shades of green, making it a fun and colorful display.
5. Oktoberfest in Munich. Munch’s annual harvest festival draws more than six million revelers each year and has spawned hundreds of similar events around the globe. Munich’s celebration, which takes place at the end of September and early October, features lots of beer, carnival rides, food and fun. The colorfully-decorated beer tents and traditional Bavarian costumes make for great photographs.
If you’re looking to expand your photographic skills, take your cameras on the road this season and attend one of these colorful festivals.
Venetian Carnival, Copyright – erickn
Mardi Gras Float, Copyright – Sean Motola
Day of the Dead, Copyright – Julio Aldana
Balloon Festival, Copyright – Steve Estvanik
St Patricks Day, Dublin, Copyright – Aitor Mouz
Oktoberfest Photo, Copyright – Francesco Bucchi